Hiking the Buttermilk Falls Section of the Mattatuck Trail

Buttermilk Falls, The Mattatuck Blue Trail, Terryville CT
Buttermilk Falls, The Mattatuck Blue Trail, Terryville CT

The Mattatuck Trail is a 36 mile Blue Blazed Hiking Trail in Western Connecticut. The first section of this trail begins in Plymouth and includes a hike around Buttermilk Falls - a 60 foot high three tier waterfall.

The Buttermilk Falls Section is a 5 mile moderate footpath. Stones near the falls can be wet and very slippery. Pine and hardwood forests along this trail are wide and deep. This section also passes two caves and a large pond.



advertisement


Pond along The Mattatuck Trail - Plymouth CT
Pond along The Mattatuck Trail - Plymouth CT


It had been forecast as a rainy day. I decided, that I would hike that morning regardless of weather. It turned out to be bright and sunny. There had been rain overnight and in the early morning, so the woods had that fresh, misty, and earthy feel. I had in mind, a nice secluded hike on soft pine needles and along streams and rivers. I got exactly what I was looking for in the Buttermilk Falls Section of the Mattatuck Trail.

I found a single parking spot made where the Mattatuck joins Lane Hill Road. As I stepped out of my car I could hear the falls. there was robust wood decked bridge over a deep cut leading to the falls. Buttermilk Falls was more impressive than I expected. I tried to capture it on film and video but these tools rarely do a waterfall justice.

Further along on the trail, I strolled easily alongside the brook that feeds the falls. the trail let out awkwardly on someone's driveway, and so I followed the blue blazes down the driveway and along sidewalks down Allentown and Wolcott Roads. the trail re-entered the woodlands and became much rockier and muddier.

I came across two caves on the trail - both were overhangs. An exciting side trail led to a bald rock where you can survey the hills of Western Connecticut.

I turned back at 2.5 miles, I wasn't game for an all day affair. But it was a good morning. A sort of string of pleasant surprises.


Buttermilk Falls, The Mattatuck Blue Trail, Terryville CT
Buttermilk Falls, The Mattatuck Blue Trail, Terryville CT

Buttermilk Falls, The Mattatuck Blue Trail, Terryville CT
Buttermilk Falls, The Mattatuck Blue Trail, Terryville CT


Mattatuck Trail - Buttermilk Falls Section


COUNTY: Hartford, Litchfield
COMMUNITIES: Bristol, Plymouth, Terryville

TOTAL MILES: 5 miles linear
DIFFICULTY: Moderate

POINTS OF INTEREST: Buttermilk Falls, Indian jack Cave

LINKS: Mattatuck Blue Blazed Trail


Directions and Trail Map


Click to activate map

Click Map Image to load the full interactive map.

Or Click here to open Interactive Map in Google Maps App.


Address for your GPS: 100 Lane Hill Road Terryville, CT 06786
| Coordinates: N41.644773, W073.007365 |

From Bridgeport40 Minutes
From New Haven30 Minutes
From Hartford20 Minutes
From New London1 hour
From Providence1.5 Hours
From New York2 Hours


Video